This is a call to NW activists to mobilize in Tacoma for a war contractor exhibit that will be visiting our city within the next two weeks. The defense industry has registered for a trade show at the Greater Tacoma Convention Center, June 4-6 billed as "SpecOps West 2007 ExpoTrade Show and Symposium" at which it will share new tachnologies and products for "today's war fighter." There will be approximately 75 exhibitors including Lockheed Martin, Nortrop Grumman, and Raytheon. Below is an article detailing the event in Tacoma as well as speakers.
We will protest outside the trade center each day. Come express your outrage that NW cities are using our facilities to glorify war and destruction. Our cities cannot keep using our ports and convention centers to promote war and atrocities against other people. Come prepared for anything. Affinity groups welcome.
PROTEST TACOMA WAR CONTRACTORS
-Monday June 4 @ 4pm
-Tuesday June 5 @ 12pm
-Wednesday June 4 @ 12pm
Greater Tacoma Convention and Trade Center
1500 Broadway, Tacoma, WA 98402
Wherever you are in the northwest, please come. We can find you a place to sleep. See you there!
From I-5 Southbound/Northbound:
1. At exit 133 (City Center Exit) turn RIGHT onto the ramp towards I-705/ City Center.
2. Keep LEFT to stay on ramp towards I-705/ City Center.
3. Turn LEFT onto ramp towards A Street/ City Center.
4. Keep LEFT to stay on ramp towards S. 15th Street/ Pacific Avenue.
5. Follow S. 15th Street two blocks, the GTCTC will be on your left at 1500 Broadway.
6. To access onsite parking, Turn LEFT on Market Street.
7. Turn LEFT again on S. 17th Street to access Parking Lots A, B, C, D & E. Lot G is accessed off of Commerce Street.
Those parking lots may cost money, so free parking is available in neighborhoods up the hill a few blocks (west) or park at the Tacoma Dome Station parking garage (free) and take the light rail over (free).
For information about the Tacoma Dome Station see http://www.soundtransit.org/x1349.x
For more information about parking see http://www.tacomaconventioncenter.com/p
CALL IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT
If you cannot make it, consider calling the Convention Center and city officials to express your outrage that the city is using our facilities to promote war profiteering and killing.
-Tacoma Convention Center: 253.830.6601
-Mayor Bill Baarsma's office and city council members: 253-591-5100
For schedule of conference events see:
For more info about the trade center:
Let's shut down the conference! They won't make war plans in our neighborhood!